[hibernate-dev] EntityBindingState

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Jun 20 22:26:14 EDT 2011

In looking at
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HHH-6338 I
really started digging into this notion of "binding state" and
specifically EntityBindingState.

I ran into a question.  I don't quite follow reasons for some of the
details here.  For example, I do not get why we:
1) instantiate an EntityBinding
2) instantiate an Entity, and pass it into the EntityBinding
3) instantiate a EntityBindingState and pass it into the EntityBinding.

Given what I understand the point of the "binding state" to be, the step
I specifically do not get is (2).  Why not just make the information
needed to create the Entity instance (name, supertype) part of the
EntityBindingState contract and:
1) instantiate an EntityBinding2)
2) instantiate a EntityBindingState and pass it into the EntityBinding.

Then the EntityBinding can create the Entity as it needs based on
EntityBindingState.

I did not want to just start making changes here without understanding
the reasoning for doing it the way it is.

--
Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
http://hibernate.org