[hibernate-dev] Where to start with MongoDB support for OMG?

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Wed Jun 22 06:05:39 EDT 2011

Hello Tom,
If such person existed, that would be awesome :)

Here are the steps.
Most if not all operations to the datastore are hidden behind the GridDialect interface. But there are a few steps towards complete success

1. Finish to abstract away GridDialect from Infinispan's Cache API
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/OGM-79

2. Migrate from a Map<String,Object> to a Tuple object representation storing diffs (optional but likely useful)
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/OGM-69

3. Figure out an DatastoreConnectionProvider concept (today it's there but hard coded somehow and with horrible names)

4. Write the GridDialect for MongoDB and especially try and see if the GridDialect contract needs to evolve and see which MongoDB operations to use to map the contract

5. Have a deeeeeep discussion on the MongoDB transactional model and see if Hibernate OGM needs adjustment and write docs :)

It looks like a long list but all of these are clearly connected and working on 1 and 2 for example are great to understand how Hibernate OGM interacts with the datastore and will help for 4 and 5.

I'm on and offline in the next couple of days but at least I read my emails and I try to be on #hibernate-dev

Emmanuel