[hibernate-dev] metamodel thoughts

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 15:37:26 EDT 2011

Would be cool if it was metadata driven so that we could deploy Java
objects that represented a Hibernate deployment rather than relying on
configuration files.  XML and annotation processors would just be used
to build the metamodel which is then handed off to the hibernate engine
for initialization.  Then its easy to build alternative deployment
mechanisms (non XML or annotation based).

I'd vote no on immutability as then, at deployment time, you can't
intercept and change the metamodel based on a pluggable extension.  For
example, JBoss might want to tweak Hibernate security settings based on
configuration supplied by a JBoss Security Domain.

Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat
http://bill.burkecentral.com