[hibernate-dev] Clarification of Attribute/Value bindings

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri May 20 03:37:03 EDT 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 03:18:54 +0200, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
wrote:

> Also, I do not like the terms "value binding" and "attribute binding",
> at all.  You are mixing terms from different concepts.  It is confusing.
>   I much prefer AttributeBinding and VirtualAttributeBinding or
> something similar that says "this is an attribute binding, but for a
> special attribute that does not exist on the domain model".

I have a hard time making a judgment since I don't know exactly what and
how things are then wired up in the persisters.
I like the distinction between AttributeBinding and VirtualAttributeBinding
though. If not reflected in code we should still stick to this terms to
talk about this particular distinction.

One way or the other though we have to be able to move forward now. So far
a lot of work from the annotation side could be done decoupled from the
metamodel,
but now we are really in a stage we would need to see how things like
joins, components
and the missing associations are supposed to work.

--Hardy