[hibernate-dev] HHH-2403 - import.sql improvement

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Nov 7 10:43:07 EST 2011

No!  That is not a good idea.  It introduces unnecessary loss of
backwards compatibility.

Another option that is backwards compatible is to instead handle
multi-line commands specially by introducing a "continuation"
symbol/operator.  Think `\` on *nix.  The idea being that a line ending
with '\' is considered to continue on the next line.

A more generic solution would be to introduce a contract for splitting
up import.sql files into commands.  Something like:

interface ImportSqlCommandExtracter {
    public String[] extractCommands(InputStreamReader streamReader);
}

We could even supply 2 impls, one for "required semicolon as separator"
and another for "continuation symbol".  And allow users to develop and
supply their own for other situations.