[hibernate-dev] org.hibernate.ejb.test.lob.BlobTest fails on Derby

Christian Bauer christian.bauer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:47:37 EST 2011

Debugging a BLOB issue on H2 (different issue than this) led me to try Derby, which fails even earlier.

This is the same test as org.hibernate.ejb.test.lob.BlobTest, if someone could run this on Derby, you should see the exception. I've copied the test 1:1 into my environment and had the same exception.

The sql.BlobTypeDescriptor.STREAM_BINDING option is used by default for an @Lob java.sql.Blob property. This option "unwraps" the value by calling java.BlobTypeDescriptor.unwrap():

return (X) new BinaryStreamImpl( DataHelper.extractBytes( value.getBinaryStream() ) );

This crashes on the call to value.getBinaryStream():

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: You cannot invoke other java.sql.Clob/java.sql.Blob methods after calling the free() method or after the Blob/Clob's transaction has been committed or rolled back.
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.newSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.newSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedBlob.checkValidity(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedBlob.getBinaryStream(Unknown Source)
	at org.hibernate.type.descriptor.java.BlobTypeDescriptor.unwrap(BlobTypeDescriptor.java:123)

Bug report?