[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Filters and EntityManager.find

Jason Clawson jclawson at qualys.com
Wed Nov 30 10:26:05 EST 2011

Thanks for your response.  Yes it is multi-tenency however that's just
1 filter of the 8 we have.  We use it for more than just that.  For
example, within a single customer, there are object visibility
permissions based on a complex interaction between roles and a tree
with inheritance.  Whether or not a user can see a particular object
is determined by a recursive tree traversing oracle CONNECT BY clause.

These different visibility filters we have are only applied to
specific entities.  Filters are the right mechanism to handle this as
they contain all the necessary semantics.... We can disable them for
certain requests if the current user is an admin, or we can even do it
for a few specific queries with our sudo concept.  They can be applied
to specific entities and multiple filters can be applied to the same
entity.  And since a relatively recent release they affect DML
operations (I had to patch hibernate to do this a while ago).

The multitenency in 4.0 won't work for us.  We have a single schema
based multi tenency.  The discrimination based one probably won't work
either because we need to be able to write a custom SQL clause like we
can in filters.  It would work for customer data separation probably,
but our other 7 filters can not be modeled in that way since they rely
on some complex SQL clauses.

I understand filters work as intended.  Can you explain a little about
why it was intended to ignore the active filters when doing a find?
And why respecting the filters on a find is bad?

Thanks,

Jason Clawson

Sent from my iPhone