[hibernate-dev] HHH-6726 LONG and LONG RAW column types in Oracle

Gail Badner gbadner at redhat.com
Fri Oct 14 21:22:15 EDT 2011

In [1], I am seeing the following type mappings:

Column type: LONG -> java.sql.Types.LONGVARCHAR -> java.lang.String
Column type: LONGRAW -> java.sql.Types.LONGVARBINARY -> byte[]

org.hibernate.type.TextType is consistent with the mapping for LONG.

org.hibernate.type.ImageType is consistent with the mapping for LONGRAW.

>From this standpoint, the current settings are appropriate.

I understand there are restrictions when LONG and LONGRAW are used and I see from your other message that there is Oracle documentation for migrating to CLOB and BLOB.

I agree that changing column type registration as follows (for Oracle only) should fix this:
		registerColumnType( Types.VARBINARY, 2000, "raw($l)" );
		registerColumnType( Types.VARBINARY, "blob" );

		registerColumnType( Types.LONGVARCHAR, "clob" );
		registerColumnType( Types.LONGVARBINARY, "blob" );

		registerColumnType( Types.VARCHAR, 4000, "varchar2($l char)" );
		registerColumnType( Types.VARCHAR, "clob" );

Steve, what do you think? Is it too late to make this change for 4.0.0?

[1] Table 11-1 of Oracle® Database JDBC Developer's Guide and Reference, 11g Release 1 (11.1) (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/java.111/b31224/datacc.htm#g1028145)
[2] Hibernate Core Migration Guide for 3.5 (http://community.jboss.org/wiki/HibernateCoreMigrationGuide35)
[3] Table 2-10 of Oracle® Database SQL Language Reference
11g Release 1 (11.1) (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28286/sql_elements002.htm#g195937)