[hibernate-dev] Evolvement of SPIs

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Apr 2 05:16:09 EDT 2012

What's your definition of an SPI, in the team we have slightly different ones.

In Hibernate search an SPI is targeted at frameworks or hyper advanced user who are willing to integrate or enhance Hibernate Search. Otherwise, they are considered APIs - which includes interfaces you might need to implement like FieldBridge. Hibernate ORM has a different semantic where an API is what the application directly code on.

I personally like the HSearch approach as it's clear when a change will affect common users. That's the proposal I have pushed to the common guidelines at JBoss.

For your second question, I have used the idea of an interface combined with an abstract class with success. The interface used by the consumers and the abstract class extended by implementors.