[hibernate-dev] public (and free) CI service

Strong Liu stliu at hibernate.org
Sun Apr 15 12:02:38 EDT 2012

http://travis-ci.org/

I played this in this weekend, and it looks very interesting, and I think maybe we can use this as a smoke test environment.

pros:

1. integrated with github, very simple to set up, the build is triggered by every commit, so it is more like a CI than what we have atm.
2. DB support ( mysql / postgresql / mongo, for OGM )
3. public accessible
4. status image (http://about.travis-ci.org/docs/user/status-images/)
5. matrix support
( it seems have some bugs with this, I tried to set up H2 / MySQL / PostgreSQL matrix for hibernate-orm, but the build finishes successfully, which it should not :)

cons:
1. not stable ( alpha stage )
2. limited configuration ( linux, jdk6 only)
3. junit report not available ( no way to check the failing test stacktrace / report )

if you're interested in this, you can take a look of my set up

http://travis-ci.org/#!/stliu/hibernate-orm
https://github.com/stliu/hibernate-orm/blob/master/.travis.yml

http://travis-ci.org/#!/stliu/hibernate-validator
https://github.com/stliu/hibernate-validator/tree/travis