[hibernate-dev] Fwd: NaturalIdLoadAccess behaviour on 2Lcache is this expected?

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Apr 30 12:41:25 EDT 2012

On 04/30/2012 08:30 AM, Demetz, Guenther wrote:
> Whilst point 6 represents definitely a bug  (I opened https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HHH-7287)

Well, again, I am not so sure this is a bug.

First, in the test you go out of your way to mix transactional and
non-transactional access to the database.  If you change your
non-transactional access to instead be transactional, it works.  Your
in-line comments mention something about SERIALZABLE txn isolation, but
this is against H2 and just using (default) READ COMMITTED.

I am not a fan of writing tests with and developing solutions based on
non-transactional access.

Anyway, like I said in one of my earlier replies, Hibernate could
certainly support this use case if thats what we all decide it should.
But I will limit this to natural ids mapped as mutable.  The reason
being that there will be alot of overhead in supporting this correctly
and it is really only relevant for mutable natural ids.  Developers who
have developed their apps to leverage non-mutable natural ids should not
suffer in this perf hit.

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org