[hibernate-dev] Concept of "service availability"

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Aug 28 15:40:59 EDT 2012

Imagine we have acme.jar.  acme.jar provides a new TransactionFactory
to Hibernate for a new way to integrate with transactions.  For
hopefully obvious reasons Hibernate jars/bundles cannot name acme.jar
as a import nor as a dependency (whatever the correct OSGi parlance is
there).  So under normal circumstances, Hibernate would have no
knowledge of the ClassLoader that would allow access to acme.jar
resources.  Therefore, "out of the box" discovery will not work here.

Further lets say that a user wants to make use of this Hibernate+acme
integration.  So in order to build a
SessionFactory/EntityManagerFactory we would need to know about this
acme.jar supplied service.

So my last reply on this thread was about what needs to happen given
this situtation.

The first approach would be that acme.jar gets registered with
Hibernate as a service (however that happens).  Meaning a call would be
made to
org.hibernate.boot.registry.selector.spi.StrategySelector#registerStrategyImplementor
based on the work I have done for this under HHH-7552.  The problem
here is that this is not the service exposed by the Hibernate bundle; a
SessionFactory/EntityManagerFactory is.  But in order to build a
SessionFactory/EntityManagerFactory we need the acme.jar
TransactionFactory service.  This is the chicken-egg.

The other approach I saw was that Hibernate could be aware of the
acme.jar bundle through the ClassLoader(s) that get registered with its
ClassLoaderService.  Then auto-discovery would work.

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org