[hibernate-dev] "Live async" MassIndexer

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 07:30:14 EST 2012

Hi Sanne,

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:
> I've written some ideas for MassIndexer  improvements in the forum, to
> allow it to work in background using updates instead of wiping out the
> index, so that it doesn't prevent running applications to find
> results.
> (it's being asked now, but something I wanted to add anyway at some point) :
>
> https://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1014063

The whole idea seems sensible.

>From my experience, we usually reindex to take into account new
indexing rules and search is often affected because the new code don't
work well with the old index structure.

That said, if it can save us in specific cases, I think it's really
worth pursuing this idea.

I think the step to clean up the index at the end is necessary but it
can probably wait if well advertised in the documentation (ie don't
use this option if you dropped a lot of entities from your database).

--
Guillaume