[hibernate-dev] natural-id to primary key cache

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Jan 20 13:20:07 EST 2012

Historically natural-id look ups were accomplished by leveraging
Criteria queries.  Caching was handled through the second level query
cache.

One of the new things in 4.1 is the dedicated natural-id loading API.
So the caching will be quite different here.  I am a little leery about
making a breaking changes in 4.1 after all the changes in 4.0 if we can
avoid it.  If we can't we can't.  One thought for this was to use a
SessionFactory scoped "cache" for this in 4.1 and then add a new second
level cache Region construct for this in 5.0.  The *only* benefit is to
keep the second level cache SPI the same between 4.0 and 4.1.  Is that
worth it?  Any thoughts?

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org