[hibernate-dev] JPA 2.1 progress

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Jul 17 08:55:33 EDT 2012

As I pointed out in the reply to Hardy, I think there is a confusion
here.  I am not asking that we simply be able to hand Jandex an XML file
and expect it to be able to figure out how to apply overrides.  Thats
not going to work.

Again, what would be needed is some kind of SPI where we could tell
Jandex how to apply an override as it is "indexing" (heck, Jandex won't
even know its coming from an XML file).

I have not dug into Jandex internals, so this is more just pseudo code,
but more what I mean is along the lines of being able to tie into the
AnnotationInstance building process within Jandex.  In the simpliest
form, think of externalizing the process of building of
AnnotationInstance behind a factory that Hibernate could somehow hook in to.

And this would totally work with <metadata-complete/>...

The "downside" to such an approach would be the need to know and parse
all XML files providing overrides prior to the Jandex indexing.  That is
easy enough to control in the cases where we are building the Jandex
index ourselves.  But not sure how feasible that is when AS is building
it and would then in turn be handing it to us later.