[hibernate-dev] Hibernate.next version and AS 7.2 community release...

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Jun 26 15:21:25 EDT 2012

Well I think one option would be to explore using Jandex within
commons-annotations.  Jandex is meant as a very lightweight (read:
FAST) annotation reader.  commons-annotations is meant to read
annotations and merge the annotated values with xml overrides.  But
commons-annotations could certainly use Jandex for the "read
annotations" portion of its mandate (I think).  I think
commons-annotations is slow also because of how it reads XML.  Reading
XML is always going to be a balance between (relative) speed and
readability/maintainability.  In the new ORM code, we moved to StAX +
JAXB.  My preliminary testing showed that to be a pretty great
compromise on that balance scale.  But commons-annotations does not at
all work with JAXB nor JAXP.  As far as I know it just directly used
dom4j apis (granted most likely because that is what ORM used).

And for the record, I never said throw commons annotations away.
Stopping using it in a particular project moving forward is much
different.  I just don't think it makes sense to write "throw away
code".  I'd avoid fixing commons-annotations and retrofitting fixes
into the old org.hibernate.mapping package.  We know that code is going
away.  If someone wants to write such throw away code, be my guest :)