[hibernate-dev] [HV] Release plan for a version compatible with Bean Validation 1.1.0.Alpha1

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Mar 16 09:17:48 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Mar 16, 2012, at 1:29 PM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

> I am thinking that we should get the ball rolling on an implementation of Hibernate Validator that supports Bean Validation 1.1.0.Alpha1 so that we can gather feedback.

the biggest problem is that we really want HV 4.3 being completely backward compatible. Implementing BV 1.1 would mean that we have
to change some of the method level validation stuff. Really this would have to go into a HV 5 which in turn would mean we would need to
create a branch and do parallel releases. Something I wanted to avoid.

Really all the feature for method validation are already in place, just the API looks a little different. I could imagine that that we add things like
ParameterNameProvider and implement the constructor validation methods. The methods would, however, still be hosted on org.hibernate.validator.method.MethodValidator.

We can also try to get a HV 4.3 out asap just focusing on what's really required. Once it is out we start with HV 5 directly.

Bottom line, HV 4.3 should work with BV 1.0 and any added features should be backwards compatible. Then w/ HV 5 we go BV 1.1.

Personally I would like to avoid to work on two branches. Instead I would go for the second option where we maybe already add some
things like ParameterNameProvider.

--Hardy