[hibernate-dev] upgrade to gradle 1.0-m9

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Mar 20 18:23:09 EDT 2012

GRADLE-2169 (or at least tests hanging on your system) was the main
reason to switch to m9.  If that's not addressed by m9 then IMO we
should not switch.  Like I said on IRC all the reports I saw (JIRA and
forum) said that that particular thing is still an issue.  Curious it
only fails on some systems.  The next release is supposed to be the
first RC, I'd vote we wait for that if possible.  One thought I have
been having... Is Gradle using its daemon now by default?  If so, I
wonder if our memory settings, when set environmentally, are not passed
along to the daemon.  One of the forums posts suggest the underlying
cause of these hangs is situations where the "worker process"
encounters certain types of errors such as OOM.  That would certainly
happen trying to run the testsuites.

As for name-spacing the manual, the doctype declaration for manual now
all use SYSTEM instead of PUBLIC.  So even if they cannot be resolved
locally, it should never try to resolve them remotely.  So not sure why
this causes extra time.  I would think either it does not load the DTD
or it fails.  Of course if you already have the work done to convert it
to be name-spaced, I'd say push it.

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org