[hibernate-dev] [HSEARCH] Worker Configuration

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon May 7 17:54:18 EDT 2012

Hi Andrej,

On 7 May 2012 22:01, Andrej Golovnin <golovnin at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Hardy,
>
>> thanks for pointing this out. This is really a bug in the code rather than a documentation error.
>> I created
>> https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HSEARCH-1118
>>  to track the issue. There will
>> be a 4.1.1 release shortly which will include a fix for the issue.
>
> Thanks!
>

>> Out of interest though, what is your use case for a custom scope and what is your custom
>> implementation doing?
>>

> Our custom implementation is based on TransactionalWorker. We have a requirement
> to specify the index base by a system property. I see that in the current Hibernate
> Search it is possible to do it by using the system property "indexBase"
> (s. DirectoryProviderHelper#INDEX_BASE_PROP_NAME). It would be nice if you could
> change this property to "hibernate.search.indexBase" and may be document it.

The actual type passed to DirectoryProviderHelper is actually going to
limit the scope of properties being read, so the property key is not
just the "indexBase" constant but it is as documented:

   "hibernate.search.default.indexBase"

or with the index name:

   "hibernate.search.Animals.indexBase"

just search for "indexBase" in the reference documentation, there are
many examples of how to use this property.

I guess it might surprise you - it's indeed not pointed out in the
Hibernate Search documentation - that *all* configuration properties
can be set via System properties as well, as with all the Hibernate
core properties.

> We have also had in our implementation what you name "Conditional Indexing". But
> it was removed last year or so as we don't need it any more.

You should have shared it! So you've been using Hibernate Search for
more than a year, you should have let us know about the annoying
things earlier to stretch them out ;-)

> And our implementation
> does not produce messages if it creates directories for indexes. I'm personally not
> interested in the fact that Hibernate Search creates some directories (btw. IMHO it should
> be logged with info level and not warning. in other case we must configure nagios to
> ignore this warnings.). For me it is pretty useless information.

Fair enough, I guess it was initially expected that someone out there
would have prepared the directories correctly, but I agree let's
change that to INFO. Could you open a JIRA, and maybe you could patch
the code and send a pull request?

Thanks for your feedback!
Sanne