[hibernate-dev] [HSEARCH] Proposal to change the default value of Field#norms()

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Tue May 8 05:43:04 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org> wrote:
>> Sanne also suggested an alternative solution. We may introduce a new global
>> option which would define the default value for Field#norms(). The default
>> value of this option would be obviously YES. Users like me could change it
>> to NO if needed. I personally think we have already enough options. But
>> this solution would be OK for me.
>
> -1 I agree that we already have enough options and the proposed changed will
> just introduce ambiguities.

I kinda agree with Hardy. It's difficult to find a good (and
understandable by a developer who isn't a Lucene expert) explanation
of what norms are, how they are useful and when you should enable
them.

Having the most user friendly configuration and allowing advanced
users to set it per field as it is now is IMHO the best option.

--
Guillaume