[hibernate-dev] [HSEARCH] Worker Configuration

Andrej Golovnin golovnin at gmx.net
Tue May 8 17:12:54 EDT 2012

Hi Sanne,

>> Our custom implementation is based on TransactionalWorker. We have a requirement
>> to specify the index base by a system property. I see that in the current Hibernate
>> Search it is possible to do it by using the system property "indexBase"
>> (s. DirectoryProviderHelper#INDEX_BASE_PROP_NAME). It would be nice if you could
>> change this property to "hibernate.search.indexBase" and may be document it.

We have a custom scope implementation and a custom
DirectoryProvider. The custom DirectoryProvider has used a system property
to specify the index base. But now I can remove it and use the default one.
The custom scope implementation were used first to provide
"Conditional Indexing", which is now removed, and it also allows us to
exchange index changes between application nodes using JMS topic and
durable subscribers. Every node has its own index, which it can update
independently of other nodes and posts changes to the index to the JMS
topic. The messages posted to the JMS topic are persistent and contains
unique node id, so that the node may ignore own changes. In our
architecture all nodes are equal. We don't have a master node.

> I guess it might surprise you - it's indeed not pointed out in the
> Hibernate Search documentation - that *all* configuration properties
> can be set via System properties as well, as with all the Hibernate
> core properties.

Nice, thanks for the hint!

>> We have also had in our implementation what you name "Conditional Indexing". But
>> it was removed last year or so as we don't need it any more.
>
> You should have shared it! So you've been using Hibernate Search for
> more than a year, you should have let us know about the annoying
> things earlier to stretch them out ;-)

To be exactly we use Hibernate Search since 2007. :-)

> Fair enough, I guess it was initially expected that someone out there
> would have prepared the directories correctly, but I agree let's
> change that to INFO. Could you open a JIRA, and maybe you could patch
> the code and send a pull request?

OK, I will do it.

Best regards,
Andrej Golovnin