[hibernate-dev] Problems switching tests between old Configuration metadata and new metamodel

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue May 22 17:59:06 EDT 2012

On Tue 22 May 2012 04:42:53 PM CDT, Gail Badner wrote:
> I'm running into 2 problems:
>

> 1) I'm not able to run the same test using both types of metadata using the new=style<hibernate-mapping>:
>
>    <hibernate-mapping package="org.hibernate.test.ops"
>    xmlns="http://www.hibernate.org/xsd/hibernate-mapping"
>                      xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.hibernate.org/xsd/hibernate-mapping
>                      hibernate-mapping-4.0.xsd"
>                      xmlnssi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

Please do not use schemaLocation.  This should just look like:
<hibernate-mapping package="org.hibernate.test.ops"
xmlns="http://www.hibernate.org/xsd/hibernate-mapping">

That's it.  Your IDE will complain, but thats OK.  You just manually
set up a resource mapping point from that URI to the project-local path.

> I've tried using -Dhibernate.xml.validate=false, but I get:
>
> org.hibernate.testing.junit4.CallbackException: org.hibernate.testing.junit4.BaseCoreFunctionalTestCase#buildSessionFactory
> Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration of element 'hibernate-mapping'.
>
> I can change my tests to use the old header for now. I was just wondering if this was expected to work now.

And no, it wont work.  But I don't expect it to.  Again, I am not
really sure why we care whether or not tests that explicitly targeting
the new metamodel code run against the old Configuration based
approach.  All I really care about is that old-style mapping files
(those naming the old DTD) continue to work with the new JAXB stuff
from the metamodel code (and I have verified that it in fact does).

> 2) It is not possible to override the setting for hibernate.test.new_metadata_mappings using an environment variable if it's already set explicitly in the test's configure(). I thought this was possible with other properties in the past, but maybe not.

Correct, but again, the ones overriding it should explicitly be tests
of new metamodel based code so I am not sure why you are wanting to
test that with the old Configuration bootstrap approach.

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org