[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search Question

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue May 29 14:03:40 EDT 2012

Hi Christian,
I think the main reason has been the lack of interest, and the additional
difficulties such an integration would bring in terms of proper
testing and maintenance.

There are some performance and efficiency tricks we can take
advantage of, but I don't remember of many on the top of my head; I
guess one might have to live with a slower MassIndexer but that's
likely not a showstopper as long as such a decision would be optional.

There are also historical reasons: Hibernate Search was created before
JPA2, hence no criteria API was available at the time, while Hibernate
already had it.

Since the dependencies to Hibernate ORM are now isolated in a
single module I think it might be an interesting exercise to do if
you're interested in it, but I'm not sure if we can commit to actually
maintain integration tests with other implementations and willing tot
chase other implementors for bugfixes and other needed changes.

I'm not saying "no way", but there must be some better reason to do it
than the coolness of showcasing that it can be done;

so it all boils down to the tricky question:
why would anyone want to use a different implementation ? :P

Cheers,
Sanne