[hibernate-dev] Documentation on OGM + JBoss AS

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri Nov 9 11:37:43 EST 2012

On Fri 2012-11-09 11:15, Scott Marlow wrote:
> On 10/01/2012 11:12 AM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
> >On Mon 2012-10-01 10:51, Scott Marlow wrote:
> >>I got further yesterday (after removing the
> >>---PlaceHolderDSForOGM--- property from HibernateOgmPersistence).
> >>Not sure what the long term change is (perhaps we should only add
> >>the ---PlaceHolderDSForOGM--- for the non-container case).
> >
> >That may have changed but this place holder was mandatory to get OGM
> >to start in some environment.
> >At least make sure that these change does not break the SE mode.
> >

> People are still hitting the "Caused by:
> org.hibernate.service.jndi.JndiException: Unable to lookup JNDI name
> [---PlaceHolderDSForOGM---]" error.
>
> Since people are still hitting the ---PlaceHolderDSForOGM--- induced
> failure (on AS7), we should create a jira for addressing it.  The
> fix could be to only add ---PlaceHolderDSForOGM--- when booting in
> standalone mode but not container.

The placeholder is there because otherwise, some part of Hibernate
EntityManager's configuration bootstrap complain.

But this value should never be used because Hibernate OGM has an
integrator that overrides the ConnectionProviderInitiator with a Noop
version.
The fact that Sergio's stacktrace shows

Caused by: org.hibernate.service.jndi.JndiException: Unable to lookup JNDI name [---PlaceHolderDSForOGM---]
        at org.hibernate.service.jndi.internal.JndiServiceImpl.locate(JndiServiceImpl.java:68)
        at org.hibernate.service.jdbc.connections.internal.DatasourceConnectionProviderImpl.configure(DatasourceConnectionProviderImpl.java:116)

is proof to me that the OgmIntegrator is not taken into account which
means that the file
META-INF/services/org.hibernate.integrator.spi.Integrator
is not seen by Hibernate ORM when it bootstraps the application which
means that Hibernate OGM's classpath is not visible where it should be.

That's why I strongly suspects that this is either a JBoss modules bug
or some misconfiguration of the ogm modules.

We could try and give a better error report, open an issue for that but
at the end of the day, something is broken in the ORM-AS integration wrt
integrator and service discovery.

Emmanuel