[hibernate-dev] HSEARCH-1225

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Mon Oct 22 03:57:31 EDT 2012

Hi,

I have always been of the opinion that  FullTextSession#index should also apply the interceptor.
At the very least there should be an easy way use the interceptor via the index API.

On 21 Jan 2012, at 10:25 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> Today, this method is ignoring the conditional indexing interceptor
> altogether; this might be considered correct, but we should clarify it
> as it brought some confusion.

IMO it is wrong

> My first idea about this was to clarify in documentation & javadoc
> that the index() is going to ignore the interceptor. I thought that
> would be a good idea so that users can have a method to override any
> framework decision and force the write to be applied.

There interceptors application should be the default with an explicit option/api/configuration to
disable it.

> On the other hand, adding the methods mentioned in the FIXME would be
> straight forward too, and while I'd expect most people to implement
> onIndex() as return APPLY_DEFAULT, this might be a more elegant way
> to:
> - let the user choose about this
> - make it very explicit what is going to happen

-1 I don't think this is the right place to do it. onAdd, OnUpdate, etc are on a different architectural level
than index() and purge(). The latter actually create onAdd and onUpdate calls. It feels messy to add
these methods to the interface.

Wy not add an #index(Object, boolean) to FullTextSession? The flag would indicate whether interceptors should
be applied or not. #index(Object) would then be the default index operation with the flag set to true or false, depending
what we think should be the default.

--Hardy