[hibernate-dev] New feature: Configuring “hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto” at entity level?

Julien Martin balteo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 07:57:37 EDT 2012

Hello,

I currently use the hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto property with a value of create.

While this setting is very convenient for some entities, I also have an
entity that is not going to change (i.e. reference data such as postcodes)
and that contains some data that I would like to keep across restarts of
the app server (i.e. Tomcat).

I am seeking for a way to tell hibernate/JPA not to touch this entity/table
whatever the value of thehibernate.hbm2ddl.auto property.

Is it possible to configure the value of this property at the level of an
entity and therefore override the overall behavior for a specific entity?

This would be a wonderful feature for entities that represent reference
tables/data.

Please let me know if you are planning on implementing such a feature in
upcoming versions of Hiberrnate/EntityManager.

Regards,

Julien.