[hibernate-dev] HSEARCH-1296

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Apr 11 17:51:08 EDT 2013

There is a "blackhole" indexing backend, which pipes all indexing
requests > /dev/null

Set this as an Infinispan Query configuration property:

    default.worker.backend = blackhole

Of course that means that the index will not be updated: you might
need to adapt your test to tolerate that, but the point is not
functional testing but to verify how much the SYNC option on the
JGroups backend is actually slowing you down. I suspect the
performance penalty is not in the network but in the fact you're now
waiting for the index operations, while in async you where not waiting
for them to be flushed.

If you can identify which part is slow, then we can help you with
better configuration options.

On 11 April 2013 20:47, Ales Justin <ales.justin at gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you mean?
>
> On Apr 11, 2013, at 21:41, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:
>
> You could try the new sync version but setting the blackhole backend on the
> master node to remove the indexing overhead from the picture.
>
> On Apr 11, 2013 8:39 PM, "Sanne Grinovero" <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:
>>
>> Are you sure that the async version actually had applied all writes to the
>> index in the measured interval?
>>
>> On Apr 11, 2013 8:13 PM, "Ales Justin" <ales.justin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Although this change fixes query lookup,
>>> it adds horrible performance:
>>>
>>> Running CapeDwarf cluster QueryTest:
>>>
>>> with HSEARCH-1296
>>>
>>> 21:00:27,188 INFO
>>> [org.hibernate.search.indexes.impl.DirectoryBasedIndexManager]