[hibernate-dev] A synchronous JGroups backend for Hibernate Search

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Apr 15 13:00:19 EDT 2013

In my first draft for HSEARCH-1296 I was automatically enabling the
blocking behaviour on JGroups if the worker backend was configured to
be synchronous (which is the default for workers),
but Emmanuel didn't like that and I think he has a good point:

The JGroups behaviour and the workers behaviour are two different
things; so I just separated this into a new configuration property

"block_waiting_ack" (boolean)

which of course applies only to the JGroups backends.

I agree it's important to keep the two separate, but also if the user
is configuring an ASYNC worker, he should set this option to false as
there is no benefit in waiting for the delivery.
Likewise, if SYNC is required, you would probably want to set this to true.

So I'm suggesting we make the default value ot "block_waiting_ack"
dependant on the worker execution, exposing the property as an
override.

Thoughts?

I guess it's much easier to understand the default behaviour if we
keep them separate, still I don't see much use for configuring the two
independently.

Cheers,
Sanne

https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HSEARCH-1296