[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search 4.4.0.Alpha1 release

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Mon Aug 5 10:56:52 EDT 2013

On 5 Jan 2013, at 3:44 PM, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com> wrote:

> (Hardy, sorry for the double post, forgot the list)
>
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org> wrote:
>> TBH i am not completely sure I understand what the method does. The docs says:
>>
>> "From the set of classes a new set is built containing all indexed subclasses, but removing then all subtypes of
>> indexed entities."
>>
>> Not sure what exactly that means. What are you using this method for? Maybe you could
>> provide a use case.
>
> Well, we use it for our mass indexing magic button to index one class
> at a time. Otherwise the mass indexer requires too many db connections
> when we have too many entities: there are a couple of forum posts and
> JIRA issues about this problem.
>
> The purpose of the "rootification" done in the mass indexer is that if you have:
> Vehicle > Car
>> Truck
> Animal > Cat
>> Dog
> the toRootEntities only returns Vehicle and Animal so that you can
> send them to the mass indexer machinery. Otherwise, you will reindex
> Car, Truck, Cat and Dog 2 times (one time when you deal with the
> parent class and one time when you deal with the child one).

Ok, I see. Could you create a Jira issue for that. I think we need to discuss this also a bit more.
This looks more like a ORM optimisation thing than a Search specific thing. Technically
Vehicle and Animal are not indexed types. Car, Truck, Dog and Cat are. At least that is my
initial thinking. I'll need to think a bit more ago about this one.

--Hardy