[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search 4.4.0.Alpha1 release

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Aug 5 12:07:38 EDT 2013

On 5 August 2013 16:57, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:
>> I understand my code, but I'm not sure I understood why you would need this?
>
> Instead of calling the mass indexer directly for all our classes, we
> get the root indexed types and we index them one by one using the mass
> indexer.
>
> This is the only way to keep the number of database connections
> sufficiently low for the constraints of a few customers of us with a
> lot of entities and restrictions on the number of database connections
> allowed.
>
> At the moment, we just copied the toRootEntities code from the mass
> indexer to do so.
>
> See https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HSEARCH-598 .

So we actually would be better off fixing that issue, rather than
polluting the metadata API with hard to explain methods.

Fixing the issue in its entirety is very complex, but what would you
think of having an option to run the MassIndexer in sequence across
multiple indexe (root) types?
If I understood correctly, that would make the strategy you're already
using since a while available to everyone.

How does that sound?

--Sanne