[hibernate-dev] Putting a new release of JPA modelgen into shape?

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 13:08:35 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org> wrote:
>> I think we should move to .Next:
>> - METAGEN-72 - Generate attributes for @Transient columns : it might
>> be nice to have but it's definitely not something required (there are
>> a lot of other binding generators out there like bindgen)
>
> I am not even sure if we should do this at all. Should the static metamodel really contain transient properties?
> The meta model is primarily there to write type safe criteria queries and you cannot target transient fields there.
> So I am actually tempted to reject this one.

+1

>> - METAGEN-46 - Add ability to specify a desired package : definitely accessory
>
> Right. Personally I don't see even a point in this. Happy to move this one

+1

>> - METAGEN-89 - generated model misses <T> : if really wanted, I think
>> it probably requires more work than reasonable for 1.3.0
>
> This is another one, I am not even sure about whether it would be correct. I need to think more about this one.
> If you see any value in iet me know :-)

Not really but I'm not a heavy user of the metamodel. We mostly use
QueryDSL to write our queries now.

> If you want to help out feel free to look at remaining issues, for example METAGEN-86 (even so we need to first assess
> whether we can fix that for this release).

I took a look at them this afternoon (thus my previous email) and I
don't think I'm a good choice to fix the remaining ones as they are
really on parts of jpamodelgen/Hibernate I don't use or know. I want
to work on some Hibernate Search stuff in the next few days so I don't
think I'll be able to help more on this front.

I updated the Maven versions in this pull request this afternoon as I
thought it might be useful:
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-metamodelgen/pull/7 .

HTH

--