[hibernate-dev] Enabling all modules by default in a build

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Dec 13 04:50:23 EST 2013

On 12 Jan 2013, at 21:54, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:

> In Hibernate Search there is a Maven module responsible for running
> performance tests, which takes several minutes to run.
>
> Since it's quite annoying for day to day development, and especially
> during a release process as the process runs the tests multiple times,
> the module is only enabled when explicitly selecting an ad-hoc Maven
> profile.
>
> I now just realized that by doing so, the Maven release process does
> not correctly update the version of the module after a release: the
> non-master CI jobs I just created fail to build as it refers to a
> mismatched snapshot version (it happens to work on master by chance).
>
> I'll fix the specific situation with an ad-hoc commit, but what's the
> long term fix? Should we deprecate this kind of selection of built
> modules?

+1 for running the performance module on each build. As I already
commented on HSEARCH-1460, given that the performance tests
are just junit tests, per default it should just run a minimal test (e.g.
a single loop). This will ensure that a) the code compiles and b) the tests
actually still compile and work. We already had situations in the past
where refactorings were not applied to the performance tests, because this
modules does not build out of the box.

Via a property/profile you can then run the harness in whatever configuration
you want.

> I'm planning to have the module always run, so that at least it gets
> compiled, and use the profile to set some environment options for
> long/short duration. Good idea?

+1 (see HSEARCH-1460)

> The fix to include documentation would probably need to wait migration
> to asciidoc.

I am not quite following? Which fix for documentation?

—Hardy