[hibernate-dev] Refactoring of org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Dec 30 12:38:45 EST 2013

Configuration is softly deprecated; the class itself is not marked
@Deprecated (just a single method on it is).  The reason for that is
discussed elsewhere, so I won't go back into specifics.  Suffice it to
say that it is to make way for an improved means of bootstrapping that
it coming in 5.0.   In the interest of "forward compatibility" (apps
upgrading Hibernate version) I will make every effort to allow "normal"
existing usage of Configuration to work unchanged in 5.0 as well
(Configuration would just delegate to the new bootstrap SPI).

Long story short... we most definitely do not want to make major changes
(like this proposal) to Configuration.  That being said, *you* can
certainly extend Configuration and supply your override of the
generateSchemaUpdateScript method and have your users use that extended
Configuration.