[hibernate-dev] Maven vs Gradle

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Wed Jul 10 03:39:33 EDT 2013

On 9 Jan 2013, at 11:51 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Maven first appeared in March 2012 scoring "Hold" because of it's lack
> of flexibility and never made any progress... never!

I think that is very true. I think we all have come across its lack of flexibility at least once.
Whether this encounter was enough to switch build tool is another question.

The one thing which I think is most sad though is that there seems basically no progress
anymore on Maven. Minor version changes take years and nothing really changed to address
some of its shortcomings. Jason worked on something called Tesla which had some nice ideas,
but I don' think it ever got properly of the ground.

If I had to start a project from scratch today I would choose Gradle.

--Hardy