[hibernate-dev] Retrospective on "Pull Requests": a waste of time?

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Wed Jul 10 04:02:47 EDT 2013

On 9 juil. 2013, at 21:39, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org> wrote:

>> I also think opening issues to things that are not fully on the topic is
>> a good strategy to keep the cycle on a given PR short.
>
> What is the definition of not fully on topic. I would not suggest a change in
> class X for a pull request where only class Y and Z are affected. However,
> if class X is touched and I see a potential improvement I think it can be considered
> being part of the topic. Boy Scout rule number one:" Always leave the campground
> cleaner than you found it."  I truly believe in this one, but of course sometimes a
> potential improvement would have too big of a ripple effect to be pursued.

I think that's the crux of the disagreement. Disclaimer, it depends but if the cumulated changes take 5 mins or 3 hours things vary. Breaking the flow of a small or medium sized PR can be problematic IMO.
The other problem is that we all have a different degree of perfection: what is unacceptable for one is ok for another. We are generally in agreement but that only makes disagreements more energetic ;)