[hibernate-dev] ci.hibernate resource locks configuration

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Jul 30 04:34:07 EDT 2013

Hi all,
I am enabling the "resources lock exclusion" plugin: this allows to
specify - using a string - a resource that a specific build requires
for exclusive access, preventing parallel execution of multiple builds
using the same resource.

I'm enabling two resources specifically:
 - JGROUPS
 - JBOSSAS
(literally)

Please keep that in mind when
 a) creating new jobs
 b) adding new tests using any such resource in a project which doesn't have any

For example, Hibernate Search includes some tests which create a
JGroups communication channel - either explicitly or by using
Infinispan - and if another build was run at the same time they would
fail as JGroups would automatically connect to the other running test,
setting up an unpredictable state.
So by enabling "JGROUPS" as a required exclusive resource, if any
other project needing the same could declare the same resource usage
we can prevent them to be run in parallel.

JBOSSAS is defined by projects using Arquillian; I enabled it only on
OGM and Search: any more needing it?

The good aspect is that by doing so I can re-enable parallel execution
and Jenkins should figure out which builds it is allowed to run
instead, without wasting CI time.

Side effects: expects several fail reports in the coming hours, as I
*thought* I got it right but actually made a mistake, triggering many
parallel builds :-)