[hibernate-dev] [OGM] Ogm mass indexer, how to convert Tuple/EntityKey to Entity/Id?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Mar 4 09:33:41 EST 2013

The Hibernate Search / ORM approach does iterate on the primary keys to get a
consistent snapshot of the state to be reindexed, but subsequent phases avoid
the "iterator" approach as it makes parallel execution very hard.

With OGM/Infinispan I think the natural solution is to use Map/Reduce, and
that would be simpler than the multiple-phases (stream) approach we
are forced to use on ORM.

Depending of the underlying OGM backend, some might be able to support an
efficient Map/Reduce operation, some other might have different approaches so
the interface proposed by Davide is to provide something that could be
implemented
by each backend "optimally": we avoid expectation of all backends to support
Map/Reduce directly, but to provide at least some form of "iteration"
(which is not
an Iterator) of all data.

Indeed the GridDialect would need to work on "Tuples", while Hibernate Search
only digests entities, so the consumer of this GridDialect would need to use
the OGM mapping engine itself to perform the transformation; but this is again
code that needs to be coded only once and can be shared across backends.

Davide needs advice to transform the Tuple into entities; he could use a Session
and transform keys, but given the nature of our backends it seems more suited
to iterate on the data directly rather than iterate on the keys only.

Our idea is not to "feed" the existing MassIndexer implementation but
to implement
a new one, which shares the same last phase (consumption of Lucene Documents
from multithreaded producers); this would be an extremely trivial one-phase
processor invoking the DocumentBuilder, provided we have some way to have
the GridDialect expose (to avoid "iterate") all data.

Sanne