[hibernate-dev] New 'release' task in ORM Gradle build

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu May 16 21:18:46 EDT 2013

Just pushed changes[1][2] to the Hibernate ORM build script on master
which introduces a new 'release' task.  This task coordinates all
release related activities, across all the subprojects.  One "task" that
it explicitly leaves out is any VCS related handling. Mainly this is due
to the release-and-then-tag approach I use to cutting releases (see
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/ReleasingHibernateCore if you want the
details).

Other than that, it:
1) cleans all subprojects
2) tests and publishes (nexus) all subprojects
3) builds documentation (including aggregated JavaDocs and DocBook
outputs) and then uploads it to the JBoss doc server using rsync (OS
dependent!)
4) builds release distribution bundles and then uploads it to
SourceForge FRS
5) announce the build

Point (5) is still a work in progress.  Ideally, I think it would be
great if we could automate announcing a release build via Twitter,
Google+ and email.  We'd still have the freedom to manually write up
"Release Notes" blogs.

If anyone knows the Google+ API (https://developers.google.com/+/api/)
well-ish and wants to help look at that, any and all help would be
appreciated.

[1]
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/commit/8290662c9d0617a7056e5ab9e72dc38003a2fe79
[2]