[hibernate-dev] DocumentBuilder refactoring in Hibernate Search: how to deal (internally) with metadata

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Thu May 30 08:55:10 EDT 2013

On 30 Jan 2013, at 2:00 PM, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:

> I'm wondering how many node types there will be and how deep the hierarchy
> actually is. If it is basically only something like BeanDescriptor and
> PropertyDescriptor, is it really worth a visitor pattern?

Right, my thinking as well.

> On a more general note, would it make sense to have a joint meta model for
> the different projects such as OGM and Search?

No idea what model OGM needs, but I have a hard time seeing project specific meta data
being shared. The information it provides it per definition very specific to the given
project.

> This might help avoiding to write and maintain redundant code (e.g. merging
> meta data from different sources) and also might be beneficial for the sake
> of memory. Such a common model might have generic node types, to which the
> different clients could attach specific payload.

That sounds a little over engineered to me. Maybe if I would see some prototype code.
But I am skeptical about this.

> Note that I'm not sure whether that's a sound idea, just throwing it out :)

Sure. np

--Hardy