[hibernate-dev] [OGM] Requiring Java 7?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Oct 10 05:33:26 EDT 2013

It is a valid point, it might raise the bar but I would be very
surprised if the rise would be significant.

It's indeed a tradeoff vs. benefits, and as Emmanuel pointed out, the
benefits are not significant either, at least in our usage of the new
style coding.

I proposed to make the switch (was initially chatter on IRC) because
we had a release problem leading to wrong stylesheets in javadoc: the
stylesheets need to match the JDK version, so we need to make a choice
in either consistently release on JDK6 or on JDK7.

Either option works for me, but we need to enforce one (or the other)
as I'm not going to manually edit CSS resources on the server again.

So nobody has a strong opinion here, but this is why I'd rather switch
now than later: I think it's highly unlikely that someone is at the
same time stuck on Java6 and free to experiment with OGM, and I also
doubt there is serious adoption in production environments.

But the project is evolving, we might be at a turning point now: many
queries work, native queries are big, the Search integration is
finally complete (MassIndexer)... people might be starting to use it
for real soon.

Considering that it won't be too long that we'll need to baseline on
Java7 as a hard requirement (JPA 2.1? Infinispan.next? *any* other
backend?), I'd rather switch now and make the requirement clear from
the beginning to new users, than having to switch in some month and
beg for forgiveness to those who are already working on it.

That said, we can also activate that animal-sniffer to see if we can
keep a best-effort intentions if you like, but that might end up being
misleading. I'd rather take advantage of the minimal style benefits.

Sanne