[hibernate-dev] [HHH-8483] METAGEN merge into ORM

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Oct 25 11:25:56 EDT 2013

Hi,

I pushed a branch [1]  to my local ORM repo which integrates the metamodelgen sources into ORM as per HHH-8483 [2].
The sources are under tooling/metamodel-generator and the commit history is kept. I did, however, squash several commits.
This includes in particular the commits from the maven release process, but also some other commits which were not linked
to Jira issues.

The current metamodelgen build is still independent from the overall ORM build. It is, however, already Gradle based
and all the test framework is now JUnit (instead of TestNG). This should make it quite easy to hook into the ORM build.
I will look into this next.

A few remaining questions:

* What should be the next version of the annotation processor? I guess it could just use the main ORM version, so
  we would make a version jump from 1.3.0.Final to 4.3.x
* Should we move the docbook sources to the documentation module and create a new "book", next to devguide, manual
  and quickstart? I guess there are pro and cons for each approach. I would lean towards moving the metamodelgen docs.
* Any thoughts on whether we should change the artefact it? Or should we just keep hibernate-jpamodelgen?

Once the build is integrated into ORM, we can merge the Jira project METAGEN into HHH and update the README of the
original metamodelgen repo to refer to the new location.

Thoughts?

--Hardy

[1] https://github.com/hferentschik/hibernate-orm/compare/HHH-8483
[2] https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-8483