[hibernate-dev] Required improvements for Infinispan's query engine

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Sun Sep 8 07:33:04 EDT 2013

Hi Adrian,

We have been contemplating some ideas around your requirements. Are you
working with several "types" (as defined by ProtoBuf files) or only one
such type per one of your caches (and thus afaics SearchFactory)?

In case of the latter, one idea would be that you always target your
generic entity type with your queries and we provide an SPI which allows
you to configure the field bridges to be applied for the individual fields
of a given entity (here always the generic entity type), e.g.  FieldBridge
getFieldBridge(Class<?> type, String fieldName). We could then query this
SPI from within the HSEARCH-based parser backend to apply the right field
bridges for a given query. You would create any FieldBridge instances
yourself and thus could inject whatever data you need into them.

Would this address the needs of Infinispan?

If you need to work with several ProtoBuf types per SearchFactory, we'd
have to do some more changes within HSEARCH, as the metadata essentially is
keyed by class type atm. and we'd have to change that to key by a more type
representation.

Thanks,

--Gunnar