[hibernate-dev] [Search] OSGi split packages

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Tue Apr 1 15:55:55 EDT 2014

I dropped the ball on the package split for a couple of days, but would like to get this completed now.

> It seems we are all ok except on the SearchFactory shuffling.

Good :-)

> Not we we agree (or disagree) on that one.

I am not quite sure how to read this sentence, but I think in an earlier email you suggested to move
SearchFactory into org.hibernate.search.boostrap.SearchFactory. My problem with this is that:

1) This package does not even exist yet. Moving just SearchFactory into it seems odd and I am not sure
    where your plan was to move other classes as well (for example SearchFactoryBuilder)
2) SearchFactory is more the result of bootstrapping and has its use beyond the scope of bootstrapping

As a reminder, in my working branch I moved org.hibernate.search.SearchFactory into
org.hibernate.search.spi.SearchFactory. My reasoning was that this package already contained
(rightfully or not) SearchFactoryIntegrator and SearchFactoryBuilder (the latter I find strange in an spi).

In case having SearchFactory in an spi package makes you a bit uneasy, you are not alone. I feel the
same way. On the other hand, Sanne had some ideas and future plans where SearchFactory actually becomes
an SPI. I don’t think that we all understand his vision here though.

Last but not least, another suggestion of a new home - org.hibernate.search.engine.SearchFactory.

Thoughts?

—Hardy