[hibernate-dev] New disruptive API possibilities in Java8: what do we do?

Jakub Narloch jmnarloch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 12:28:20 EDT 2014

Hi Sanne,

I've already grab the code and do some experiments by implementing the
proposed API:

https://github.com/jmnarloch/hibernate-orm/tree/java-8-optional
https://github.com/jmnarloch/hibernate-orm/tree/java-8-streams

Only to find that the build system itself it not yet ready to be moved to
Java 8, by that I mean
 - animal sniffer is not yet capable to generate the Java 8 signatures - (
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MANIMALSNIFFER-45) - (that might be a minor
thing)
 - Gradle 2.0 or to be more exact Groovy 2.3.2 has an bug within (
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GROOVY-7023 - well that is not exactly a
bug that's a feature ;)) that makes the hibernate-enhance-maven-plugin
build to fail. This is kind of blocker for now.

As you may notice I've made the changes in the core module, which is not
exactly the direction you would wish to take due to backward compatibiility
with older JVMs. So since this changes affect so much basic API, could you
deliberate more how would you expect this to be handled? What would be your
approach?

I think that the migration to Java 8 is either way unavoidable and will
happen at some point in time, If that's ok with you I will create an
umbrella JIRA task, that could gather ideas for API changes.

Regards,
Jakub

As in this forum post: