[hibernate-dev] HSearch 5.0

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Aug 20 05:38:58 EDT 2014

Hi Marc,

we've been slower than expected, apologies from my part as I've been
distracted in fixing stuff in a project building on Hibernate Search;
in a way that has been good for the project as we nailed some issues
in Search, gives us valuable input on performance and validation under
high load.
Considering holidays & similar, we should be fully focused on Search
again next week and first goal is of course to challenge the roadmap
and see what can be cut to speedup a 5.0.0.Final release.. However
many users are already using the current previews and I am expecting
the same from you as you would give us precious feedback as usual ;-)

We discussed the release timeframe yesterday during our fortnight IRC
meeting; Emmanuel sent the logs to this same list in case you want to
see the details
(And feel free to join when you can). No date was mentioned, we need
to spend a couple of days first to investigate what can be sensibly
dropped.

We're all agreeing that we should rather move some issues out from the
plan and release early; having said that, which features of Lucene 4
would you love to see exposed on the API?
I also expected many big changes but it turned out we could provide
most of it as "under the hood" internal changes; unless I'm missing
something the issues still open on JIRA are not expected to make a
significant dent on our public API (that is, excluding some changes in
defaults and meaning of annotations as discussed previously, but
that's not Lucene4 specific).

Please open issues about features we should expose, and feel free to
suggest a priority. I'll probably defer anything which shouldn't block
the 5.0, but it would be very helpful.

Cheers,
Sanne