[hibernate-dev] JCS Hibernate Region Factory

Alex Snaps alex.snaps at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 13:14:33 EDT 2014

I'll try avoiding a flame war here... especially as I'm a Terracotta
employee and working on Ehcache.
That being said, the FAQ says:
"I just built both EHCache (1.2-beta4) and JCS (1.2.7.0) from head, (...)",
where 1.3.0 was released over 7 years ago, I guess "just" has relative
semantics here.
Latest stable JCS release is 5 years old now too, so whether you still
manage to find the Ehcache perf results, or are reading the ones on the JCS
website... there are, how would I best put it, ... utterly out of date.

On a side note, if the 2.0 release will be 107 compliant, I have a JSR-107
caching provider more or less done (missing a couple of things for the
read-write strategy around collections), but I'd love to test with that too
then (not necessarily perf only though here).

Anyways, random biased thoughts :)
Alex

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Petar,
>
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Petar Tahchiev <paranoiabla at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I would really like to give apache commons jcs a spin (the FAQ says
> > performancewise it's faster than EHCache)
>
> I don't know JCS but I find it funny they criticize the fact that
> Ehcache published an old benchmark and that they still have a very old
> one in their FAQ.
>
> It might be interesting to have more recent performance information
> comparing the latest versions of both before deciding if it's really
> worth it.
>
> --
> Guillaume

Alex Snaps <alex.snaps at gmail.com>
Principal Software Engineer - Terracotta
http://twitter.com/alexsnaps
http://about.me/alexsnaps
http://www.devoxx4kids.org/quebec/