[hibernate-dev] Using raw vs. wildcard types

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Aug 22 05:44:46 EDT 2014

On 21 Jan 2014, at 15:30, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

> I do like you do.

I often do as well, but less than I used to do.

> But I can see why some fall back to the raw type as
> it's less "annoying" when developing.

Exactly. IMO there was a phase where wildcard types where used everywhere, with little
or no use. In the contrary, in some cases they imo obfuscate the code. Take ValidatorImpl
for example. By now we reached some sort of balance, but there was a time where we used
wildcards left right and centre. It made the code harder to read and often we needed a cast somewhere
anyways.

—Hardy