[hibernate-dev] Feature Proposal for Hibernate Search

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Mon Feb 3 15:13:31 EST 2014

Hi Martin,

great that you like Hibernate Search and want to make it even easier to use.

On 3 Jan 2014, at 19:08, Martin Braun <martinbraun123 at aol.com> wrote:

> I am currently working on a new way to query in Hibernate Search. It's not finished, but
> it already works.

I had a quick look at the code, but for the sake of discussion, it would be great if you could outline
your approach in an email. Maybe with some example code? It would make it much easier for everyone
interested to see what you want to achieve.

Let me try to sum your approach up from what I read in the readme and glancing at the code. Please
correct me from where I am wrong.

Your approach is bean driven, where the bean defines the query parameters you have for a given query.
You also created a set of annotations which allow you to specify the query via annotations on the bean.
When you create a Searcher you pass it the bean and the parameter values. From there is query is build
and executed for you. Is this correct? How would you provide multiple parameters and how do you select
a given query in a bean (it seems you envision the possibility to provide more than one).

Is this correct?

> I am planning on extending the functionality a lot in the future

What are your plans? Can you maybe share your vision for this extension? How would you envision to
integrate it with Search? Do you need to modify core functionality or could this be an optional “search” module?

—Hardy