[hibernate-dev] Feature Proposal for Hibernate Search

Martin Braun martinbraun123 at aol.com
Tue Feb 4 04:24:34 EST 2014

Well. To all this time...

Hi Emmanuel,

> You lost me :)
> Could you write some code, maybe in a gist.github.com ?

I think I just expressed it overcomplicated. All I was talking about why
I use the QueryBean Interface. It is (currently) needed for hand written queries like this:

public BooleanJunction<BooleanJunction> customQuery(
			BooleanJunction<BooleanJunction> mainBooleanQuery,
			QueryBuilder queryBuilder) {

	//build your own query, wrap it in a BooleanJunction, and return it here.
}

Or for determining the way we have to sort:

	/**
	 * @return a custom sort object or null
	 */
	public Sort getSort();

or how to facet, etc...

I want for this stuff to move to annotations (maybe) because I don't really like
the fact that I have to implement an Interface for that (and the current approach doesn't
allow profiles).

> Indeed I like that both the query and the parameter values are hosted on the same class.
> And I would have the programmatic query expressed on that class. (I know it goes against my later
> proposal to provide params support in the DSL itself but I explore multiple routes :) ).
> This also solves another problem we have today of propagating the entity type to the creation of the full text
> query.

:)

> But annotations in my opinion don't scale very well for tree structures. Composition, lack of polymorphism are also not easy / elegant in annotations.
> You can see that you had to break the sub queries with string references.

I think they don't scale well in the general case but in this scenario I think it's ok.

Look at this:

@Queries(@Query(profile = "notName", must = @Must(subQuery = "someNameForTheQuery")))
@SubQueries(@SubQuery(id = "someNameForTheQuery", query = @Query(must = @Must(not = true, value = @SearchField(fieldName = "name", propertyName = "name")))))

I look at it this way: I lose the easy way to do tree structures, but I gain a way to document my query by having to give names to my sub-queries :).

> And I am not sure how you will be able to express other query types that we have like range, spatial etc. I might be wrong, so it's worth trying. But even then, if we had one new query type, we
> have to also add an equivalent annotation or add new fields to an existing one.

Uhm. I totally forgot to add this functionality in my rewrite (I have rewritten most of the code last weekend)
and I implemented a way to pass parameters into QueryTypes. You can even pass parameters that are dynamically
determined by stating the property to get its value from. With that you can easily do RangeQueryTypes.
If you want me to elaborate on that, I can provide you with an example.

> What do you mean by query nesting by hand?

Consider you have a query like this (again with boolean syntax):

(queryA || queryD) && (queryB || (queryC) || queryE,...

Now you would have to build a BooleanJunction and several subJunctions
and then put them together. I have written that type of code before and
I made some mistakes because I messed up the variable names in my head.

> And how does the annotation approach differs?

In the annotation Version it would look something like this (example from above):

@Queries(@Query(must = {
	@Must(subQuery = "queryAOrQueryD"),
	@Must(subQuery = "queryBOrQueryC"),
	@Must(subQuery = "queryE")}))
@SubQueries({
	@SubQuery(id = "queryAOrQueryD",
		query = @Query(should = {@Should(subQuery = "queryA"), @Should(subQuery = "queryD")})
	@SubQuery(id = "queryBOrQueryC",
		query = @Query(should = {@Should(subQuery = "queryB"), @Should(subQuery = "queryC")})
	//define query[A-E] here.
})

Maybe it's because I don't like to work with the Junctions and put them together myself,
and maybe it's only me that thinks this would be easier :P.

Martin Braun
martinbraun123 at aol.com
www.github.com/s4ke