[hibernate-dev] New unified XML handling

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Sun Feb 9 11:25:33 EST 2014

2014/2/9 Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>

> Gail, et al.
>
> I am starting to integrate the new unified XML handling into the process of
> building a Metadata object.  Logically this sits at the level of "source
> processing" (source package).  The concept of a MetadataSourceProcessor is
> kind of obsolete because there is just one process to apply (annotations
> +xml-overrides & metadata-complete-xml).
>
> Because the output of this unified process is a Jandex index, one option is
> to replace "source" with direct Jandex.

How is the Jandex index created in case of XML?

>  Another option is to keep "source"
> and have it be a wrapper around Jandex.  This second option is likely
> quicker turnaround since we can mostly reuse the annotation source
> processor code.  Also, wrapping the Jandex calls this ways lets us apply
> some simplification of the questions we ask of the data.  Not to mention it
> would probably be a good idea to encapsulate as much as possible this
> reliance on external libs.  There are some concerns to this approach though
> to my mind.  My main concern is performance, as this requires us to
> instantiate all the "source" wrappers around Jandex.
>
> What do y'all think?

What other concerns are there besides performance?

Design-wise, wrapping Jandex seems advantageous to me, in particular as it
allows to add more semantical methods to these objects (I think that's what
you meant by "apply some simplification of the questions we ask of the
data").
.